Director/Sr. Director, Research Assays
CRISPR Therapeutics is currently seeking a senior leader of Research Assays for a newly-created role to assume immediate responsibility for the development of a portfolio of assays to support our research efforts. This leader will build and lead an assay team and will work collaboratively with other leaders in the research and translational development space to support CRISPR platform optimization and therapeutic area basic research in our rapidly growing organization.
Responsibilities include collaborating with CRISPR platform scientists, discovery/pre-clinical scientists, and translational scientists to accomplish the following
- Create and manage a “Book of Business” of assays that will support research efforts across the company
- Identify and develop assays in support of CRISPR platform optimization
- Support assay development for therapeutic area basic research and pre-clinical sciences
- Identify fit for purpose commercial assays (in lieu of development)
- Identify and manage vendors to conduct fit for purpose assays
- Deploy external assays through technology transfer and vendor management practices
- Develop novel assays to support objectives in discovery research to non-GLP IND enabling studies. Examples of discovery research assays include, but are not limited to
- biological readout of functional disruption of molecular CRISPR targets
- cellular assays for activation of innate immune response
- quantitation of cell-based and in vivo CRISPR therapies in blood and tissue
- detection of biomarkers of target engagement and therapy disposition
- Measurement of CRISPR-related biology such as DNA insertion/deletion, homologous recombination, etc
- Ability to oversee assay development pertaining to a variety of methods including biochemical, ELISA, histologic, HPLC, nucleic acid, flow, etc.
- Lead a group of assay development scientists at CRISPR Therapeutics to ensure that all novel assays are developed and transferred in a high quality and timely manner
- Manage vendor relationships and trouble shoot where necessary
- Manage communications and build collaborative relationships with key stakeholders within Research, Translational Development, and external collaborators/ vendors.
- Develop assays and reagents to support translational development that are validation ready. In this capacity, the individual will be expected to work closely with the translational development team to deliver novel research assays with line of sight to support clinical endpoint and biomarker assessment of patient samples from ongoing clinical studies.
- Analyze, interpret, and draw conclusions supported by data; communicate findings to research peers, senior management, as well as communicate effectively through written reports to wider audiences.
- Hire and manage scientific staff as needed. Serve as a mentor to other members of the research staff and foster a culture of scientific excellence and cross-functional collaboration.
- PhD degree in relevant discipline (Immunology, Molecular Biology or Biochemistry), strong knowledge of analytical methods, with a minimum of 8 years’ experience with drug discovery and/or development in a biopharmaceutical industry laboratory
- Demonstrated excellence in teamwork and effective collaboration; flexibility in project focus, outstanding oral and written communication skills, and contribute solutions to challenging research and translational development questions
- The preferred candidate will possess requisite skills, first-hand experience, and deep understanding of methods covering a broad range of research techniques as detailed below:
- Biochemistry: Protein purification, characterization, and quantification;
- Molecular biology: RNA quantification, recombinant DNA methods (conventional, Gibson, etc.); protein production in stable and transient expression systems, NextGen sequence analysis;
- Immunochemistry: antibody characterization (e.g. kinetic analysis, epitope mapping), immunoassays including ELISA & western;
- Histology: Basic as well as immunohistochemical characterization of frozen and fixed tissue from in-vivo studies, light and confocal microscopy, and quantification of immunohistochemical results using digital image analysis;
- Cell-based assays such as flow cytometry
- Collaborative – Openness, One Team
- Undaunted – Fearless, Can-do attitude
- Results Orientation – Delivering progress toward our mission. Sense of urgency in solving problems.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit – Proactive. Ownership mindset.
Crispr Therapeutics, Inc. is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law.